Just Another Day At The Office

Today I had the pleasure of starting a new project, a log cabin siding repair in Shaver Lake.  I went by the cabin and took measurements the other day and today I determined to make the replacement log siding.  I hiked around on the property enjoying the fresh smell of the damp ground and crisp air until I came across a pine tree that was nice and straight and just the right diameter.


After felling it and cleaning it up I hoisted it up onto my truck’s rack and brought it to my shop (which is actually the garage at 36714 Peterson).  I sanded all the chainsaw chatter marks off and split it.  A little more sanding and it will be ready to replace the two damaged pieces of log siding on the cabin.  What a blessing to spend the day on the property, enjoying the fresh air and peaceful serenity while working away on some custom log siding!





I put away the tools and threw the ball one more time for my dog before heading inside to work on paperwork.  Because we are ‘empty nesters’ it is just the two of us in this four bedroom house so we have setup the upstairs as our personal suite.  We have our master bedroom and bathroom upstairs along with the loft for relaxing.  The fourth bedroom (next to the loft) is our office.  It is quite comfortable with a couch and coffee table on one side and the desk and file cabinet on the other side.  There is a large window behind the couch that looks out into the backyard and one just to the right of the desk that looks down the driveway.  Here is the view as I sat down to do paperwork this afternoon:


And here is the same view by the time I wrapped things up:


I couldn’t help but pause and appreciate the awesome beauty of another sunset in the mountains.  All day long the only noise I heard beyond my own chainsaw was the heavy breathing of my dog wanting me to throw the ball again, the sound of birds - robins, hawks, ravens - and the occasional rustle of the breeze as it went through the trees.  The air is crisp and clean and was heavy with the scent of pine as I worked. 

Now as darkness falls, there is only silence and the sound of flickering flames in the wood stove.  The work is done and it is time to relax before getting ready for another beautiful day in the Sierra National Forest!  I worked pretty hard today yet as I relax on the couch with the fire warming my face, I have a complete sense of calm, relaxation, and fulfillment.  It is hard to believe that today was just another day at the office.














Comments

Popular Posts